Aquapackers is a unique backpackers in Anchorage Bay, in the Abel Tasman. We know how privileged we are to live and work in this environment. We therefore want to ensure we do what we can to have the smallest carbon footprint possible and protect our environment. Here are some of the ways we achieve this, and also help our community:
- We don't use single use cutlery or crockery on board - no throw aways here!
- We recycle what we can and also remove our guests' rubbish from Anchorage Bay.
- We minimise water use by asking our guests to be considerate of water use.
- We ask guests to just stack their dishes, so we can wash them when there's enough, rather than wasting water on small quantities.
- We minimise food waste by not using pre-packaged food, we prepare our food on board. We try to minimise food miles by using local produce when we can.
- We use solar power as much as we possibly can.
- We support the Abel Tasman Birdsong Trust.
- We help with beach and bay clean ups.
- We do a sponsorship for 'Going Bananas' who take local families with special needs, or brain injured children, for outings.